Friday, April 11, 2008

The art of Terence Ross.

Via Terence Ross-Speed Still:

"Blame Jacques Henri Lartigue. It’s all his fault.

I can’t exactly remember the first time I viewed his famous photograph of the French Grand Prix in 1912, (you know the one, oval shaped rear wheels, the blurred background ripped back at a 45-degree angle.) No, I can’t say exactly when I first saw that image but it certainly left its mark.

Ross's inspiration: Lartigue's 'Grand Prix de Circuit de la Seine'

I’m not sure what it is about all the photos taken on those big old plate cameras of cars moving at the turn of the last Century but they all seem to capture the frightening yet exciting sense of speed so well. More accident than planned? I like to think that the Lartigue photograph was a combination of a great eye and a sharp brain.

That single image is always the first one I think of when people ask about my obsession in searching for speed in my work. As for the first time I tried to capture fast movement in one of my sculptures? I admit it not to be an accident. I’ve spent a fair old time (like every other artists) searching for a unique style. So have I achieved it?"


(Thanks to Toybot studios for the tip!)

No comments: